Covenant Presbyterian has a 70 year history in the city of Winston-Salem, NC and it all started in a tent. The following is a summary of that 70 years. The year is 1929 and Winston-Salem, NC is growing. Realtors, H.W. and W. L. Spaugh of Spaugh Realty and Insurance Company, decides to buy farmland south of the city. This farmland will soon become the suburban community of Konnoak Hills. This covered an area of six and one half blocks and contained 212 parcels for building homes. With the onset of the Great Depression, construction slowed but with it’s end in 1939 and the beginning of World War II, the economy began to come back and developers once again looked at the area of Konnoak Hills and enlarged it by 3 blocks. The city and area around it were busy hubs for several types of industries. The two major industries were tobacco and textiles. R. J. Reynolds Tobacco and Hanes Hosiery were industries that employed many of the people in the surrounding area. Konnoak Hills was one of those areas. In late 1954, Western Electric came into the area. Western offered jobs making switches, etc. for national telephone networks. Many members of Covenant worked for these employers. In August, 1941 the First Presbyterian Church of Winston-Salem recognized a need for a Presbyterian church in the Konnoak area. It decided to hold a Vacation Church School and erected a tent on the corner of Konnoak Drive and Clemmonsville Rd. As interest increased, a Sunday School began at 3226 Luther Street in the home of Mr. and Mrs. J. W. Taylor.
The Rev. G. Raymond Womeldorf, Sr., a missionary home on leave from China, was called to start work in the community and then was called to be Covenant’s first minister on April 12, 1942, celebrating the church’s first worship in it’s new building. Covenant was the only church in the Konnoak Hills Community.
In the fall of 1949 the Scout Hut was built on the church’s property. The building was used through the years by various boy and girl scout troops. Covenant’s membership started with 77 charter members. With the Konnoak Hills and surrounding area growing, soon young families started attending and membership grew to 253 people, presently membership is 75. A summer bible school was held yearly and one year we had approximately 100 children. Covenant, being under the watchful eye of First Presbyterian and having their financial help, was able to build a manse in 1945. The manse was sold and removed from the property in 1990. In 1947 the Ladies Auxiliary, now known as Presbyterian Women, was formed and Covenant Presbyterian was organized by the Commission of the Winston-Salem Presbytery on April 13, 1947. Thus no longer being a mission of First Presbyterian and in 1950 Covenant became self-supporting. In 1951 the Men of the Church, now known as Presbyterian Men, was formed. As the need developed for more room, the members decided to build onto the existing church. A groundbreaking ceremony was held on May 22, 1955. When finished we celebrated the first worship service in the new sanctuary on October 7, 1956. Over the years we have been spiritually lead by 8 different ministers.
in September, 1963 a weekday kindergarten was opened filling a need in the Konnoak Community. This kindergarten remained active for 11 years.
In June, 1983 The General Assembly voted to merge the Northern and Southern Presbyterian Churches and Covenant became a member of the Presbyterian Church, United States of America (PCUSA). Covenant Presbyterian voted to incorporate which became effective on October 14, 1988.With an ever-changing membership and a more diverse community, Covenant decided to share it’s building with Monte Sinai Apostolic Church of Christ in the fall of 2015. This has led us to sharing worship services and community projects with Monte Sinai. Now, in the year 2018, with the prayers of the people and the help of God, Covenant stands as a monument of God and provides a challenge to every member to continue the Christian witness to those around us.